Friday, February 14, 2003

A week in the life of...

It seems to have been forever since I've posted, so a synopsis of the days past is in order.

Tuesday, where I last left off, Karen and I bowled. It was quite windy when I left (after playing in the snow). She had just cut her hair, it looked cute. All was fun. I managed to get a 142 on one game, good, but not my personal high score which is ... (drumroll) 187. I looked it up to be sure; I still have the score sheet in a box in my closet, along with other various trivia, such as my university diploma. I bowled most of the time that I have bowled during my senior year in college or so, against a fellow math major mostly. I had forgotten one irksome quality of the game when played with two players: it makes conversation more difficult than usual. I think therefore the post-bowling conversation was more fun, even if it may have been just idle chatter.

Wednesday, I went to the Blackhawks vs. Maple Leafs game with Elizabeth, Bert, Barbara, and Kevin. The Leafs won 3-1, and all goals were scored in the first 8 minutes. It was quite fun. There was a child behind us yelling things one wouldn't expect a child to yell, which gave us a laugh. I noticed that Elizabeth and Barbara both seem to be worriers, and Elizabeth was not pleased with this observation. Not that worrying is necessarily a bad trait. As she will surely not like that I mentioned it here, I should mention something rather good about Elizabeth to balance out the universe. I noticed a week or two ago, at happy hour I think, a weird sort of comfort around Elizabeth. It was as if we were old friends.

Thursday was a generally miserable day, and for absolutely no reason whatsoever. I woke up and did not feel like getting out of bed, or at least not going to the office. But my cadre of friends awaits at the office, so of course I go. But the day did not get better. I ate lunch solely because I knew I needed food, not because I felt like it. Near the end of the day I got a short nap and felt better afterward, but for most of the day I was without smile.

Friday was an excellent day likewise for no reason whatsoever. I woke up early, 5:30am or so, listened to NPR until it turned to the war-mongering and switched to the classical music station. I left for the office early, picked up a copy of the NY Times at the newsstand I pass daily, and had a very cheerful day. At happy hour, Anne was very happy and it was nice to see her happy. I, Kate, Anne and Erin managed to get through happy hour without talking about math or other equally boring stuff as the rest of the table did... Bert and Elizabeth were conspicuously absent, as Elizabeth's father is now in town. This should cheer her up quite a bit.

Tomorrow, we are meeting to discuss our presentation on Monday. I think I should also attempt to get my hair cut.

This is long enough for now.